Flood Safety Tips
Floods can happen at anytime, and be caused from a variety of circumstances. Whether it's from rain, or from an inside source in the building. Here we will provide a list of safety tips for before, during, and after a flood.
- Make sure any cracks or openings to the building are sealed securely.
- Clean out all gutters, drains, and downspouts.
- If there is a sump pump in the building, make sure to have an automatic secondary backup.
- Create an emergency plan with a designated meeting place
- Move any valuables or items that you don't want damaged to a higher area.
- Shut off electrical, furnace, gas and water, and disconnect appliances if safe.
- If serious enough not only move items to raised area, but move yourself to higher ground.
- Always remain calm and listen for any updates if the flooding is serious enough
- Clean, disinfect and dry every flood-contaminated room.
- Look for signs of mold contamination.
- Keep fans running to dry affected areas
- Remove pooled water and damaged materials
- Report the damage to your insurance provider and local municipality.
Hopefully these tips will help you stay safe when floods do occur. Don't forget that SERVPRO of Society Hill is always on duty to help clean up when flood's try to wash you out!