5 Steps You Can Take On Your Own After a Burst Pipe!
You can never expect when a pipe will burst and wreak havoc on your home. The water damage clean up can be a headache so you always want to be prepared. Here are 5 tips to help you recover quickly when a broken pipe leaks water all over your property.
1. Find the source of the water damage. It's easy to find a faucet left running or sewer backup. However, if water is coming from a hidden pipe in the walls you need to shut off water to the house as quickly as possible.
2. After the panic has settled down, access the level of damage to your home. There are limited things you can do yourself to remove the water from your house but if carpeting, drywall, rugs or the ceiling below have become saturated, call a professional water restoration company like SERVPRO of Society Hill immediately.
3. Move Quickly! You need to start mitigating the damage before more damage piles up. Bacteria and hazardous mold spores can begin to grow within hours of the catastrophe. Open windows and turn on as many fans as possible to move air throughout the area. Run a dehumidifier; it will pull moisture out of the air and prevent odors in the future.
4. Use a shop-vac to remove as much water as possible until the professionals show up. The longer the water sits on the floor, the more damage it will create. Move quickly to remove as much water as possible.
5. Take photos for your insurance claim. Your insurance company will probably send out someone to investigate the damage but if you have pictures that show everything how it was the day the damage happened, you will have more evidence and it could smooth out the process. After the damage is cleaned up, continue to move fresh air throughout the affected area and continue running the dehumidifier for several days after. If your damage was caused by a broken pipe, have it fixed by a professional so that you won't be faced with the same situation again. We all hope to never have to deal with something like this, but if you ever do, the professionals at SERVPRO of Society Hill are there to help 24/7 to clean up and restore your home.