Educate Yourself On Mitigation
SERVPRO of Society Hill wants everyone to understand what consists of a water damage and understand what it takes to get your property back to normal.
Full restoration consists of two major phases. The first, mitigation, consists of occasional demolition, cleaning and drying out the structure and belongings. This phase usually takes no more than 3 – 4 days.
Causes of water damage include:
- Bursting or leaking pipes.
- Issues with the plumbing system.
- Buildup in areas prone to collecting water, such as crawl spaces, attics and basements.
- Faulty or malfunctioning household appliances.
- HVACs (Heating, ventilating and air conditioning units) issues.
If left untreated, water damage can permanently weaken your home's structure or cause you and your family to become ill. Even a little bit of moisture can attract whole colonies of mold or bacteria.
Within 1 to 24 hours – When water damage lasts for 1 to 24 hours, drywall begins to bulge and break, furniture begins to swell and crack, and metal surfaces begin to tarnish. Within 2 hours to 7 days – You will experience growth and spread of mold and mildew.
It is safe to say that a water damage should be taken seriously and not let untreated. If you ever have to experience this, be sure to call SERVPRO!